Old 28-08-2005, 10:27 AM
timcor

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: / Power:
Re: HIV screening info

And now for the details,

After entering the main entrance, there's a reception on the right and a foreign gentleman will politely ask you if you are here for anonymous testing and the cost is SGD 20.00. After paying 20 dollar, you will be given a questionaire attached on a receipt with a AFA serial no. No identification is required. During the entire screening, you will only be identified with the AFA serial no.

The questionaire is a one page with about 8-9 questions and tick boxes, mainly ask about your race, age group, marital status, sexual preference, when was the last test?, is it with AFA? etc.

After completing the questionaire (pencils are provided at the reception area), I returned the questionaire to the reception and the receptionist returned me the receipt (the one with a AFA serial no.) and ask me to wait for my number to be call.

I sat near the reception area, and during this time, about 2 couples, and 3-4 men came in and did the same procedure. I can tell from their facial expression all of them are 1st visit just ilke me.
At the same time, there are about 3-4 persons in front of me. This is what happened, each time a counsellor have finished with a person, they will go to the reception area to collect the questionaire you have filled and will call out your AFA number.

It seems that most of the consellors are Foreigners or Ang Mohs. Finally, after waiting for abou 10 mins, my AFA no. is called out and I followed the Counsellor to a room (Room 6). This counsellor is a local chinese guy and is very polite and friendly. First he apologise to me about the longer waiting period due to weekend more visitors. He then proceed to explain about the AFA screening and ask a few questions about my sexual inclination and what makes me want to come to AFA. I told him nothing but the truth knowing I will get excited if I tried to lie about something and being found out. After about 10 mins, he asked me to wait outside Room 14.

This time, it is about 5 mins of waiting time. I entered the room and another counsellor was preparing to take my blood samples. Before that, he asked me to confirm my AFA serial no. on the receipt is the same as the one on the questionaire. I confirmed they are the same. During this time, he changed to a new pair of disposable gloves and used a disposable needle kit (orange color) to take my blood sample. He asked for the non-master hand forth finger (ring finger). I present my left hand and he ask me to hold a cotton wool on the right hand. It is not painful at all. He pressed a few drops of bloods onto the test kit (a thin strip) and proceed to bandage my forth finger. Then he asked me to wait outside room 15.

At this stage, I am beginning to get nervous as the test will require at least 15- 20 mins. During this time, I tried not to think about anything. Finally, my name is called and I follow the counsellor (the first one that interview me) to Room 15 for my results. He explained the results to me (1 strip is negative, 2 strips is positive). The results of my blood test is negative. Instantly, my mood swing 180 degrees and he also advise me to come for a more conclusive test 2 months later. I said "Thanks, Thanks, Thank you so much!"

On the way out, I managed to smile a little bit and said to the receptionist "Thank you so much and see you in 2 months' time!". He responded "Thank You and Have a Nice Day!"