Thread: Jose Mourinho
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 1222 / Power: 20
joew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud ofjoew2005 has much to be proud of
Re: Jose Mourinho

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...nd-job?cc=4716

Mourinho: I nearly said yes to England

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho was within hours of accepting the England job, prior 2 Fabio Capello's appointment.

Mourinho claimed he was on the verge of accepting the job in 2007 aft Steve McClaren was sacked following England's failure 2 qualify 4 Euro 2008.

But the Portuguese had a last-gasp change of heart & decided 2 stay in club management.

He told l'Equipe: "I was hours away - I almost signed up 4 the England national team.

"But @ the last minute I began thinking, 'I m going 2 coach a national side, there will be 1 match a month & the rest of the time I will be in my office or overseeing matches. And then 2 hv 2 wait until the summer 2 compete in a European Championship or a World Cup?' No, it wasn't 4 me.

"So @ the last moment I pulled back, preferring 2 wait 4 the right job 2 come along, a good club, a challenge tat could motivate me. Tat was Inter (Milan).''

The FA were quick 2 respond 2 Mourinho's comments. "Fabio was our 1st choice 4 England manager,'' a spokesman said. "We hv made tat clear fr the outset.''

Mourinho left Chelsea in September 2007, 2 months b4 McClaren was dismissed, & took up his role as head coach @ Inter in June 2008. Aft guiding Inter 2 the Champions League he then left 4 Real Madrid in the summer of 2010.

"When I left Chelsea, the 1st month was fantastic. I went 2 Africa, 2 Japan, I did tons of things I had not been able 2 do,'' he added. "The 2nd month was also good, but from the 3rd onwards it was horrible, just awful.''

Mourinho admitted he also came close 2 taking the PSG job aft leaving Stamford Bridge, but decided against it as he was not convinced by Ligue 1's quality.

Asked why he did not take the PSG post, he said: "I do not know. Perhaps because of the feeling tat England, Spain or Italy r more powerful leagues, & we must make the most of the best years of our career by working @ the highest level.''