Samster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Reputation: Points: 172 / Power: 21
qbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samsterqbdp is a Helpful and Caring Samster
Re: Manchester United's Headliners, Articles and Rumours

Chelsea could get worse, laughs Fergie

MANCHESTER United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has accepted John Terry's assertion that Chelsea could find a different level as the battle for the Premiership title hots up. Fergie thinks they might get worse.

The Reds boss has again laughed off Terry's dig at United's five-point lead at the top of the table.

After Chelsea's midweek win over Newcastle, their captain claimed United could not play any better than they are now, while his own side could still step up a gear.

Advertisement your story continues below
But Ferguson is in no mood to get drawn into mind games, resisting the temptation to do anything other than poke a bit of fun at Terry.

"Yes, Chelsea could find a new level," he said. "They could get worse.

"I actually think Chelsea's level at the moment is better than it has been over the past two years.

"I didn't see their game on Wednesday and to be honest, I am not going to pay much attention to what they are doing. I prefer to concentrate on my own team because we are doing everything right.

"Even if we were two points behind Chelsea, I would still be delighted with the way things are going.

"I know we are going in the right direction and I know we have an outstanding chance. That is the only thing that matters to me."

Happy

However, Ferguson is focusing solely on Sunday's trip to face a West Ham side boosted by the arrival of new boss Alan Curbishley.

As high-ranking officials within the League Managers' Association, the pair know each other well.

Curbishley even rang Ferguson before he accepted the challenge of replacing Alan Pardew and the United chief believes his side will face a stiffer challenge because of his old friend's appointment.

"There is no doubt Sunday will be a harder game for us now," said Ferguson.

"The West Ham players will have an increased energy and desire because they will want to convince and impress their new manager.

"But maybe that will be a good thing for us because we will have no illusions about the task that awaits us."

Having effectively lost two league titles - 1992 and 1995 - at West Ham, Ferguson is in no mood to suffer a damaging blow in the East End this season.

Certainly, his head-to-head record with Curbishley is encouraging as he is yet to taste defeat in 14 previous meetings.

Full-back Patrice Evra is again United's only injury absentee, so Ferguson could name an unchanged side from the one which recorded a Manchester derby triumph over City at Old Trafford last weekend.